Features & Benefits
|Reduce lubrication oil costs
- Optimize feed rate to the cylinders, eliminating wasteful over-lubrication.
- Allows ship engineers to quickly comply with manufacturer recommendation for BN in new and residual cylinder oils.
|Increase component lifetime
- Reduce "cold corrosion" due to the effects of slow steaming.
- Reduce cylinder scuffing due to insufficient lubrication.
- Prevent scaling which results from over-lubrication.
|Innovative BN measurement and maintenance
- Fast and easy to use - needs just one drop of oil and one minute to test.
- Color coded alarm limits for easy interpretation of results.
- Reduced testing costs - solvent-free and few consumables. No hazardous chemicals.
- More accurate - avoid operator error of traditional onboard tests. Correlates with ASTM D2896.
|Easily upgradeable to enable oil analysis for other shipboard equipment
- The Q1210 measures BN for marine cylinder oil.
- The Q1220 measures BN for marine cylinder oil plus additonal parameters in 2-stroke systems oil and other 4-stroke engine oils.
- The Q1230 includes all of the above plus oils used in machinery components such as gear boxes, compressors, hydraulic systems, turbines, and transmissions.
Large, two-stroke diesel engines are used in over 30,000 ships worldwide. Due to over lubrication, they waste in excess of US$2 billion of cylinder oil every year. This creates more than 1.25 million tons of contaminated drain oil that needs proper disposal. This over-lubrication in slow speed, two-stroke marine diesel engines can cost ship managers and owners more than $100,000 per year per ship.
Cylinder under-lubrication leads to cold corrosion and early failure of expensive engine components like pistons, piston rings and cylinder liners. Careful monitoring of cylinder oil BN allows the operator to use enough oil to prevent cold corrosion without wasting valuable oil and additives.
Recommended by the engine designer
- See Wärtsilä Services technical bulletin RT-161
- Allows quick adjustment of cylinder oil lubrication rates when entering or leaving Sulfur Emission Control Areas.
- Battery powered portable analyzer can be carried to the test site rather than having to send oil samples back to a central laboratory
- FluidScan software can store up to 5000 measurement results and export these results by .csv file. This allows the operator to track and store measurements by cylinder for their records and enables trending of measurements.
- Upgradeable software allows the user to monitor lubricating oil condition on a wide variety of shipboard equipment. The FluidScan Q1230 can monitor lubricating oils for TAN, TBN, oxidation, sulfation, water and soot.
- Cold corrosion is best avoided by tightly controlling BN using a simple, easy to use, accurate analyzer like the FluidScan 1200. Measuring corrosive iron is UNNECESSARY if you properly control residual cylinder oil BN and never let it fall below 15 (Wärtsilä recommended limit).
Resources & Downloads
240 mm x 140 mm x 70 mm
9.5 in. x 5.5 in. x 2.75 in.
Weight 1.4 kg (3 lbs.)